The Centre for Instrumentation Services (CIS) was formally established in 1996. It has as objectives to :
- Advise publicly funded Tertiary Education Institutions (TEIs) on all matters pertaining to Information Technology & Instrumentation
- Establish an efficient outreach service for repairs and maintenance of scientific instruments and IT equipment in these institutions
- Promote and sustain a technology-oriented culture in the TEIs by providing training to their technical staff through regular, short-term training programmes
- Constantly disseminate information on new technology on its potential applications
The institutions in the higher education sector which are currently benefiting from the services of the CIS are:
|Tertiary Education Commission
|Mahatma Gandhi Institute (including 6 MGSS schools)
|University of Mauritius
In view of the good performance of the CIS, other institutions outside the tertiary education sector have solicited the services of the Centre. After careful consideration, the TEC Board has agreed to their requests and the services of the CIS were extended to them. A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the TEC and each of these institutions :
|Agricultural Research Extension Unit, (AREU)
||Information Technology & Instrumentation
|Forensic Science Laboratory, (FSL)
|Mauritius Qualifications Authority, (MQA)
Under special circumstances, assistance was also given to National Environmental Laboratory (NEL) and Police de L'Environment (Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development). In these cases, interventions were performed on sophisticated scientific laboratory equipment which could not be repaired locally.
Functions of the CIS
The functions of the CIS are inter alia as follows:
- Provide advice/assistance to TEIs and other institutions on design and implementation of projects pertaining to Information Technology in view of enhancing teaching and Learning.
- Provide advice/assistance to TEIs and other institutions on choice of IT equipment/instrumentation and preparation of specifications for sophisticated or specialized equipment.
- Undertake diagnostics and provide efficient repairs and maintenance services & support for scientific instruments and equipment of the TEIs
- Provide training in Information Technology and Instrumentation regarding use of technology, operation, maintenance and repair, through regular and/or short term training programmes, in collaboration with all concerned
- Undertake and provide assistance in design, fabrication aspects and setting up of low-cost instruments and experimental systems for research
- Coordinate inter-institutional activities of the TEIs in Instrumentation.
- Collaborate with national and international institutions/ organisations for promotion of instrumentation in the TEIs.
- Disseminate information on new technology, in instrumentation and its potential applications.