TEC Postgraduate Scholarships & Bursaries
TEC makes provision for some 15 full-time MPhil/PhD Scholarships, 15 Part-time Bursaries and for 2 Postdoctoral Fellowships undertaken at the University of Mauritius and University of Technology, Mauritius.
Twice a year TEC advertises for MPhil/PhD Postgraduate Scholarships, Bursaries and Postdoctoral Research.
- TEC advertises for MPhil/PhD Postgraduate Scholarships, Bursaries and Postdoctoral Research
- Applicants have to show evidence of having secured a seat for MPhil/PhD at the UoM or UTM
- Applicants must submit their research proposal
- A Scholarships and Fellowships Committee chaired by a TEC Board member examines applications
- The criteria and weightage for selection are based on the following:
- Quality of Research proposal – 25%
- Priority/relevance to the country – 45%
- Cost benefit analysis with regard to resources requires – 30%
- Sub-Committee on Research considers decision of Scholarships and Fellowship Committee and makes recommendations to TEC Board.
TEC Funded Schemes
- The Scholarship covers the annual tuition fees, monthly stipend and the MRes Programme fees (UoM)
- The Bursary covers the annual tuition fees and the MRes Programme fees (UoM)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship covers monthly stipend
- Tuition Fees are credited to the individual bank account of beneficiaries so that they can make the payment to the University
- Monthly stipends are credited to individual bank accounts of beneficiaries
Monthly stipend for Full-time Research
|| Monthly Stipend (Rs)
| Postdoctoral Fellowship
Payment of Stipend to TEC-funded students
To be entitled for the monthly stipend, TEC-Funded Full-time students are required to:
- Submit a progress report every month to the TEC whereby the supervisor and the student provide evidence of progress
- Certify attendance as required by the course
Scholarship Scheme – Duration
Duration for full-time MPhil/PhD
MPhil/PhD Postgraduate Scholarship (Full-time) up to a maximum of 4½ years
An awardee under the MPhil/PhD Postgraduate Scholarship is granted a period of 4 years to complete his PhD, that is two years for the MPhil and another two years for the PhD.
Exceptionally, an extension of up to 6 months for the following reasons:
- To complete MPhil research work after 2 years;
- To continue research pending upgrading to PhD;
- To complete PhD research after 4 years if not availed of after MPhil.
Scholarship Scheme extension for full-time TEC-funded students
The 6 months extension is subject to:
- The supervisor confirms that the research work carried out by the student has reached a stage where it can be converted to a PhD research or the student requires more time to complete the PhD
- The Pro Vice-Chancellor of the University of Mauritius or the Registrar of the University of Technology, Mauritius has to recommend the request for extension of the student
- The supervisor agrees to supervise the student during the period that the MPhil Transfer report is being assessed and the student continues to work during that period
Duration for part-time MPhil/PhD and Postdoctoral Fellowship
- MPhil/PhD Postgraduate Bursary (part-time)
- An awardee under the MPhil/PhD Postgraduate Bursary is granted a period of 5 years maximum to complete his PhD.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
- An awardee under the Postdoctoral Fellowship is granted two years to complete the Postdoctoral Research.
Interruption or transfer of studies
- For interruption of studies; transfer from fulltime to part-time; upgrade from MPhil to PhD – recommendation from the University is required.
- For interruption or termination of studies before the expiry of the Bond for reasons not acceptable to TEC, students are required to refund the total funds released under the Scholarship along with interest at 5% above the bank rate within 1 year.
There should be a formal conclusion of the scholarship, which will include notification by the University to TEC of completion. In your thesis or other publication you should acknowledge having been sponsored by TEC